Wednesday, September 8, 2010

It's funny

The things that infuriated me when I first arrived don't bother me as much now, in a scary way they even seem normal. I guess I accept things for what they are now rather than fight the unwinnable battle, this can only be a good thing and is actually a really good life skill.

At the end of the day I see the positives of this experience and don't worry as much about the small stuff. I think shovelling shit and working on a farm has humbled me a bit and adjusted my attitude to what it needed to be to survive here. It still does frustrates me that no matter how hard I try the chance of getting design job will still be incredibly slim. I think if anything I wished I knew what I know now so I wouldn't have wasted so much time and money.

I guess this is the problem with undertaking a working holiday when you are in your late twenties and a bit more establised in your career, it becomes harder to go back to the jobs you did when you were 20 as you feel you've been there, done that and moved beyond on to bigger and better things. I never wanted to be the 27 year old guy waiting tables or working in a retail store.

To put things in perspective though you are not your job, your clothes, etc (insert fight club reference). I'm here to experience this beautiful continent, expand my horizons and meet new people. If I have to shovel a bit of shit in order to do that it's a small price to pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment