Monday, November 22, 2010

On the road

I talked to a guy the other day in Antigua who told me he liked the idea of liking on the road than the actual book itself, which I found quite sad.
Obviously it is not a conventional book and as such does not follow a standard narrative structure, and I think this is why some people find it hard to read. The stream of consciousness style that Kerouac would use is in my opinion quite innovative for it's day (even for these days) as well as suitable for for content of the book, that being travel.
Life isn't broken up into chapters, it's a constant flow and I think the book accurately portrays that, my thoughts on it anyway. The themes resonated with me a lot as I spent time on farms in North America and really felt many of the same things Kerouac did, I think every solo traveller does.

No comments:

Post a Comment