Sunday, February 13, 2011

In the Bay Islands, Honduras

I would like to say that the Bay Islands (Utila anyway) are very overrated, it just feels very swampy, muddy and not particularly nice. I'm sure the diving is the main draw. I am probably comparing it to Belize and the Yucatan, which is an unfair comparison and those beaches are absolutely stunning.
And kinda tired, worn out and not feeling particularly social, there's a crazy party going on at my hostel but I'm just not in the mood to party, a little depressed actually. Just kinda killing time in a cafe with sweet wifi. I was looking into doing a dive certification but to be honest forking out $280 I'd rather not in these conditions as the weather has turned to shit. The last guy I talked to at the dive shop was drunk off his ass, and I suspect coked up and asked me 2 times in 10 minutes where I was from. Kind of decided then it wasn't the best place to learn to dive. Theres other places in town but I'm just not that enthused about it, I think it's time to keep moving.
On a positive note I got to see the most amazing bar today called Treetanic. The pictures do not do it justice, it was kind of nice just to see it alone and really take it in, I left a few dollars in the donation box as it's a pretty epic project. It's kind of like Wonkaland meets the great barrier reef on acid. I think it was worth the trip to Utilla.
Well tomorrow back to the mainland and out of Honduras, it's not a particularly nice country, it has similarities to Guatemala but lacks the character and vibrance of the Mayan culture. Overall its very dirty and run down without much charm, the people tend to be very friendly though. I guess the fact it hasn't stopped raining since I've been here has been a bit of a downer too.
Anyway I'm alone again and to be honest feeling pretty content about it. I've got my computer where I can do some writing, Lightroom for photo editing and that's all I need right now. I don't feel like I need to make new friends for a day to make myself feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment